Mexico City, July 20 (teleSUR-RHC)-- Femicide in the violent state of Sinaloa has increased by over 110 percent in the last two decades, lawmaker Maria del Rosario Sanchez denounced on Sunday, according to local newspaper RioDoce.
Sanchez said the present administration of Sinaloan Governor Mario Lopez has registered 358 femicides since he took office in 2011. Lopez is also accused of protecting the Sinaloa cartel, particularly Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman and Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada.
“In the previous government of Jesus Aguilar Padilla, 295 femicides were reported, while in the government of Juan Milla, 165 femicides were reported.
The state legislator pointed out that 68 of the femicides were against young girls and women up to the age of 20. “There are 108 other women murdered between ages 21 to 30. And 164 between the ages of 31 and 51,” she said. “Femicides in Sinaloa will continue to increase due to the negligence of authorities and their lack of will to prevent or investigate these crimes,” Sanchez pointed out.
She called on her fellow members of state congress to debate and approve a resolution to ask the government to declare a state of general alert regarding femicide in Sinaloa, a state in northwestern Mexico.
Last week, it was reported that kidnappings in Mexico had increased by 30 percent in June. Previously, it was also reported that homicides in Mexico had risen during the government of President Enrique Peña Nieto. Recently, 100 homicides have been reported daily in Mexico.
- Academic says denial of entry visas to Cuban scholars to participate in LASA Congress in the US was politically motivated
- Cuban top leaders meet with visiting North Korean Worker´s Party vice president
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: ALBA members must join forces to prevent a new imperialist military adventure in our region
- ALBA-TCP Political Council concerned about actions against regional peace and security
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3010
- today: 2493
- online: 115
- total: 5959109