Beijing, October 6 (RHC)-- The death toll from Typhoon Mujigae in China has climbed to 11, Chinese state media say. Over 200 people were also injured, with many of them hospitalized in the southern part of the country, authorities told reporters on Tuesday.
Packing winds of up to 180 kilometers per hour at its center, the typhoon hit the southern Guangdong Province on Sunday and then moved to neighboring Guanxi Province.
The storm brought in tornadoes and caused wide-spread power outages affecting hundreds of thousands of houses, officials said. In some areas of the two affected provinces in China, water supplies have also been cut-off, according to Xinhua news agency.
Typhoon Mujigae prompted the evacuation of over 230,000 people in southern China prior to its arrival. Authorities were forced to ground flights and suspend rail services in some cities across the Asian country's southern coast.
Meanwhile, rescue efforts are underway across the affected areas, as the weather is turning better and traffic returns to normal. Typhoon Mujigae was the 22nd to hit China so far this year. It struck the country after sweeping through the Philippines and Taiwan just a day earlier.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5179
- today: 2494
- online: 136
- total: 6668490