Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel evaluates measures adopted by western provinces in the wake of Hurricane Michael
Cuban president evaluates measures adopted in the wake of Hurricane Michael. Photo: Cubadebate
Havana, October 11 (RHC)-- Given the heavy rain and storm damage associated with Hurricane Michael in the western region of the island, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel, accompanied by vice presidents, ministers and other leaders, met to evaluate the situation.
The Cuban leader conversed via teleconference with the highest authorities of the Communist Party and government in five provinces most affected by the storm, and by telephone with the Isle of Youth special municipality.
It was reported that the provinces have adopted the necessary measures to safeguard residents in vulnerable areas prone to flooding, and to protect material resources. Division General Ramón Pardo Guerra, National Civil Defense Chief of Staff, provided an update on the meteorological situation.
Local authorities in Pinar del Rio reported that more than 300 persons had been evacuated, given the risk of flooding, most sheltered in the homes of friends and family. Part of the province is without electricity and fallen trees have damaged a number of roofs and downed electrical cables.
- Cuba strongly rejects inclusion in arbitrary US Report on Trafficking in Persons
- EU commissioner for international cooperation says ties with Cuba have evolved to higher levels
- Business executive says Cuba is a very popular resort among Europeans
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- US academic not surprised that Trump Administration has made it more difficult for Americans to travel to Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3743
- today: 138
- online: 101
- total: 6064959