Geneva, September 11 (RHC) -– Given the history of Cuban international collaboration, particularly in the health field, we have been asked to join the group of countries that will give initial response to an urgent call against Ebola in Africa, said Cuban Health Minister Roberto Morales after a meeting in Geneva with World Health Organization Director General, Margaret Chan.
Minister Morales visited Geneva in response to a call by the World Health Organization and the United Nations to fight Ebola, according to the Prensa Latina news agency.
At present, Cuban health workers, including over 2,500 doctors, are offering their services in 32 African countries, said Morales and added that Ebola must be fought in a comprehensive manner, under the coordination of the World Health Organization, to achieve a significant impact on the affected regions.
The 2014 Ebola epidemic is the worst ever in the world so far with nearly 4,000 cases and over 2,000 deaths.
During a working session, Margaret Chan expressed the need to learn from the Cuban experience in the treatment of emergency cases and thanked President Raul Castro because Cuba has been the first country to respond to the UN and the WHO call to fight Ebola in Western Africa.
- President Raúl Castro Meets with Visiting Counterpart from Serbia
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Protests and Repression Continue in Argentina
- Cuba Renews Its Solidarity with Venezuela at ALBA-TCP Political Council
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuban Parliament President Esteban Lazo Meets with Serbian President
NUMBER OF HITS/VISITORS
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3914
- today: 1353
- online: 182
- total: 4105463