San José, November 17 (RHC-InsideCostaRica.com) -- The first direct flight in six years by Cubana Airlines to Costa Rica landed at the Juan Santamaria International Airport Sunday morning.
Beginning yesterday, the airline now offers direct flights between San Jose and Havana on Thursdays and Sundays. The route will be flown by an Antonov 158 aircraft, with a capacity for 85 passengers. Cubana has not flown the route since 2008.
Representatives of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) greeted the aircraft and crew upon arrival on Sunday.
Cubana Airlines general manager, Daniel Mendez, told reporters that the route with strengthen and enhance tourism between both of the countries.
The route will also facilitate the travel of Russian tourists to Costa Rica, with Cuba serving as a layover for Russian travelers.
- RHC's Segment 'The Voice of José Martí'
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Visiting US congressional delegation meets with President Raúl Castro, speaks to the media in Havana
- Senator Leahy urges U.S. government to fully restaff Embassy in Havana
- Brazil: fighting fire with fire?
- The nuclear phantom flies again
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4531
- today: 1869
- online: 142
- total: 4367882