Havana, May 15 (RHC) –- Cuban First Vice President Miguel Diaz Canel presided over the main ceremony on Friday commemorating the 60th anniversary of the release from prison of Fidel Castro and his companions, who were imprisoned in the Model Jail on the Isle of Youth after their failed attack on the Moncada military garrison on July 26, 1953.
A number of the prisoners freed on May 15, 1955 were in attendance, along with representatives of political organizations and area residents. The political-cultural gala was celebrated at the entrance of the former prison, which today serves as a children's club.
Delivering the main speech at this morning's event, Commander of the Revolution Ramiro Valdés highlighted the resistance of Fidel Castro and his comrades during their imprisonment in the infamous jail on what was then called the Isle of Pines.
- Cuba pledges continued use of ITs for social justice goals
- RHC's Music Program 'From Havana' (Duo Buena Fe)
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Brazilians demand full investigation of Marielle Franco's assassination
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Cuban leader congratulates Putin on winning presidential election
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3933
- today: 786
- online: 106
- total: 4474466