Havana, April 15 (RHC)-- Cuban youth will once again close the parade on International Workers' Day here in Havana, which will take place on Sunday, May 1st at the Plaza de la Revolucion.
Luis Manuel Castanedo, General Secretary of the Confederation of Cuban Workers in Havana, noted that the youth contingent will wear red, blue and white -- the colors of the Cuban flag.
Castanedo said that the march will step-off at 7:30 a.m., with the opening contingent consisting of 40,000 unionists from the Cuban Ministry of Education -- which is commemorating this year the 55th anniversary of the Literacy Campaign.
In 1961, tens of thousands of Cuban youth volunteered to go into the countryside and remote mountainous areas of the island to teach illiterate campesinos to read and write. The Literacy Campaign was one of the first educational efforts of the Cuban Revolution.
- President Raúl Castro Meets with Visiting Counterpart from Serbia
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Protests and Repression Continue in Argentina
- Cuba Renews Its Solidarity with Venezuela at ALBA-TCP Political Council
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuban Parliament President Esteban Lazo Meets with Serbian President
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3618
- today: 998
- online: 163
- total: 4108726