Jesús Gómez Cairo and Marcos Urbay: 2018 National Music Award Laureates
Havana, December 30 (RHC)—Music expert and researcher Jesús Gómez Cairo and trumpet player Marcos Antonio Urbay received the 2018 National Music Award in recognition of a life-time dedicated to music.
The award was presented in Old Havana’s Saint Francis of Assisi Square, where the National Symphony had a concert conducted by maestro Joaquín Betancourt. Gómez Cairo -one of the most important researchers of the Caribbean island’s music- has taught and held lectures in prestigious universities from all over the world; as of 1997 he has been the Director of the National Music Museum. Urbay Serafín has played in several popular Cuban music bands, including the Riverside orchestra, the Tropicana cabaret orchestra and the National Symphony, of which he’s been a founding member.
- Cuba and Puerto Rico: Two wings of the same bird
- Fermín Quiñones: Helms-Burton is against the international community
- RHC's scientific and medical review
- Anayansi Rodriguez: Fidel taught us to defend peace and noble causes around the world
- Fernández de Cossío: the current U.S. government wrongly believe that they can reedit the Monroe Doctrine in our region
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2630
- today: 973
- online: 111
- total: 5865376