Las Tunas, August 12 (RHC) – With a gala dedicated to the historic leader of the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro, who this Tuesday, August 13 would have turned 93 years-old, the 2019 Cuban National Baseball Series was officially inaugurated at the Julio Antonio Mella Stadium in Las Tunas.
A giant picture of Fidel Castro, carried by young Cubans, stood in the middle of the field to praise the memory of the Comandante en Jefe, who was known a huge sports fan.
The Opening Day match was played between the current Champions, Las Tunas Lumberjacks, and last season´s runners-up Villa Clara Azucareros. Former Cuba team player, Felix Nuñez threw this season´s first pitch, which was hit by Olympic Champion Osmani Urrutia, commonly known by Cuban baseball fans as Mr. 400.
Starting pitchers were Yoalkis Cruz for Las Tunas and Pablo Guillen for Villa Clara, in game won by the Azucareros 9-1.
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 20
- RHC's sports report TIME OUT August 20
- RHC's national and international news stories August 20
- RHC's national and international news stories August 19
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 19
- RHC's national and international news stories August 17
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3641
- today: 2079
- online: 127
- total: 6270293