Brasilia, September 13 (RHC)-- The former president of the chamber of deputies and mastermind of President Dilma Rousseff's impeachment, Eduardo Cunha, lost his seat in the lower house Monday night.
Representatives who had given him immunity against judicial proceedings over corruption charges voted overwhelmingly in favor of his removal with 450 votes for impeachment, nine abstentions and 10 votes against.
At the end of the vote, Cunha left the assembly surrounded with guards while opposition representatives chanted "Cunha Out!" Eduardo Cunha has been investigated for lying about hiding over $5 million in laundered money in secret Swiss bank accounts. He denied having money offshore, but accounts tied to him were repeatedly confirmed by Swiss officials.
- RHC's national and international news stories Oct. 18
- With Alicia's death, the dance community has lost a genuine and true icon
- Notes on the Revolution / Column 20
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's national and international news stories Oct. 17
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4040
- today: 1421
- online: 124
- total: 6499881