Radio Havana Cuba | Russia Accuses U.S. of Supporting and 'Flirting With' Daesh in Eastern Syria

Radio Havana Cuba

A friendly voice around the world

  • Follow Us on

#NoMasBloqueo #SolidaridadVsBloqueo

Russia Accuses U.S. of Supporting and 'Flirting With' Daesh in Eastern Syria

Moscow, October 5 (RHC)-- Russia has accused the U.S. forces of providing intelligence to the Daesh Takfiri terrorists in eastern Syria, saying Washington is clearly "flirting" with the terrorist group.  Major General Igor Konashenkov, a spokesman for Russia’s Defense Ministry, said on Wednesday that "the main obstacle to completing the defeat of Islamic State (Daesh) in Syria is not the military capability of the terrorists but the support for them, and flirtation with them, by the United States.” 

Konashenkov made the comments after a group of Syrian forces came under a series of attacks by Daesh in the province of Dayr al-Zawr, where Syria is trying to push the terrorists out of their last strongholds in the region.  The Russian general said the attacks on the Syrian government forces had come from an area near the border with Jordan where the US maintains a military mission. 

The spokesman for Russia's defense ministry said Daesh had the precise coordinates of the Syrian forces before the attack and that such information could only have been obtained through aerial reconnaissance.  “If the United States views such operations as unforeseen ‘coincidences,’ then the Russian air force in Syria is prepared to begin the complete destruction of all such ‘coincidences’ in the zones under their control,” Konashenkov said. 

Russia has been a major backer of Syria’s fight against terrorists over the past two years.  The U.S. and allies in the West have repeatedly criticized Russia’s assistance, which came at an official request by Damascus in September 2015 and has led to crucial wins against militants. 

Syria’s anti-terror fight continues in Dayr al-Zawr, where Daesh was pushed back to areas near the border with Jordan after its three-year-long siege on the provincial capital city broke last month. 

Edited by Pavel Jacomino
Commentaries
MAKE A COMMENT
  • Cuban historian: the public debate is a fundamental step in any constitutional reform process
  • Cuban media follows closely the public debate on the draft Constitution
  • Fidel Castro: “I'm not important. It is the six million Cubans back home that follow this visit who matter to me"
  • Eusebio Leal: the public debate on the draft of constitution allows for advancing towards a stronger, more united nation
  • Cuban-American: our participation in the constitutional reform process can help us find the way to talk with just one voice
  • Cuban-Americans need to put pressure on their senators and congresspeople to change U.S.-policy towards Cuba
NUMBER OF HITS/VISITORS

5038345

  • Max: 19729
  • yesterday: 3635
  • today: 815
  • online: 110
  • total: 5038345