Catholic Church withheld information on child sexual abuse by 500 priests. Photo: AP
Chicago, December 21 (RHC)-- In the U.S. state of Illinois, a new report by the attorney general finds that nearly 700 Catholic priests have been accused of sexually abusing minors, but the church withheld the identity of at least 500 of the alleged sexual predators. The report reveals a pattern of discrediting survivors and neglecting to investigate allegations.
This new report is the latest shockwave in the ongoing sexual abuse crisis in the Catholic Church. Earlier this month, an American Catholic priest, Kenneth Hendricks, was charged with sexually abusing at least 10 young boys in the Philippines.
Meanwhile in Los Angeles, Bishop Alexander Salazar has resigned following revelations of sexual abuse against a child stemming from the 1990s. The Los Angeles Archdiocese was reportedly aware of the allegation as early as 2005.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5771
- today: 4548
- online: 139
- total: 6622645