Washington, February 27 (RHC)-- The U.S. House of Representatives voted 245 to 182 to block President Donald Trump’s national emergency declaration, which would divert billions of dollars of federal funds to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.
The measure now goes to the Senate. So far, three Republicans -- Senators Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski and Thom Tillis -- have said they will join with their Democratic colleagues to vote in favor of the bill. At least one more Republican senator would also need to support the bill for it to pass.
Donald Trump, however, has vowed to veto the bill, and Congress is far from the two-thirds majority needed to override a presidential veto.
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 16
- Puerto Rico: the struggle for independence continues
- 35th Jazz Plaza Festival well-underway, both in Havana and Santiago de Cuba
- Imperialism and Revolution Episode #22
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 15
- Ricardo Alarcón: Recent anti-Cuba measures by the Trump Administration reflect complete failure of Washington's Cuba policy
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 11605
- today: 6311
- online: 245
- total: 6994087