Geneva, March 8 (RHC)-- A United Nations official has warned about a growing humanitarian crisis at a refugee camp on the border between Greece and Macedonia, saying that Europe needs to “wake up” to the issue. Some 13,000 migrants are currently stranded in northern Greece and counting after Macedonia strictly limited the numbers allowed to pass through.
“What Europe needs to wake up to is that there is a humanitarian crisis here, in Greece, and they cannot cope, they need help,” stated Babar Baloch, a spokesman for the UN refugee agency UNHCR.
Europe is facing its biggest refugee crisis since World War Two, mostly from a flood of asylum-seekers fleeing conflicts in the Middle East.
- U.S. Republican lawmakers favor agricultural trade between Cuba and the United States
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Terrible week in Guatemala
- Colombians in awe due to threat of disaster at hidroituango dam
- Cuba condemns OAS' interference in Venezuela's internal affairs
- U.S. imperialism has not succeeded in destroying Puerto Rican nationalism
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3791
- today: 3236
- online: 120
- total: 4841680