Havana, July 31 (RHC)-- Cubans paid tribute Sunday to revolutionary leader Frank País, who was assassinated on July 30, 1957 -- 60 years ago -- and all martyrs of the Revolution.
Solemn ceremonies took place simultaneously in Havana and Santiago de Cuba to honor the memory of those killed in the struggle for Cuba's independence.
In Havana, hundreds of students, workers, war veterans and relatives of martyrs went on the now traditional pilgrimage to the Oscar Lucero Park, carrying banners with revolutionary slogans and photos of those killed, including Lidia Doce and Clodomira Acosta, who were brutally murdered by henchmen of the U.S.-backed bloody Batista dictatorship.
Addressing those present, Mai-Lin Alberty Arozarena, first secretary of the Young Communist League (UJC) in Havana, said honoring the legacy of Cuban martyrs is key to safeguard the country's sovereignty and independence.
Meanwhile, in eastern Santiago de Cuba, the main activity to mark Cuban Martyrs' Day took place at the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery, which keeps the remains of National Hero José Martí, Revolution leader Fidel Castro, Frank País, Raúl Pujol and René Ramos Latour, and many other revolutionaries.
Cuban President Raúl Castro sent a floral wreath that was placed at the Pantheon that holds the remains of the martyrs of the July 26th movement.
- Cuban historian: the public debate is a fundamental step in any constitutional reform process
- Cuban media follows closely the public debate on the draft Constitution
- Fidel Castro: “I'm not important. It is the six million Cubans back home that follow this visit who matter to me"
- Eusebio Leal: the public debate on the draft of constitution allows for advancing towards a stronger, more united nation
- Cuban-American: our participation in the constitutional reform process can help us find the way to talk with just one voice
- Cuban-Americans need to put pressure on their senators and congresspeople to change U.S.-policy towards Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3174
- today: 2074
- online: 131
- total: 5046412