Havana, September 24 (PL-RHC) –- Cuba has reduced by over 78 percent the relative risk of amputation due to diabetic foot ulcers, thanks to a comprehensive program of care for these patients that includes the use of the drug Heberprot-P. That is the only drug in the world capable of enhancing the healing of such complex injuries, Granma newspaper reflected.
With this product, developed by the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology in collaboration with other entities, more than 31,000 Cubans have been benefited.
For three consecutive years, direct mortality from diabetes in Cuba has shown a tendency to decrease, while 84 percent of those afflicted with this chronic disease reach the same life expectancy of non diabetic Cubans (about 78.45 years).
These results will be presented at the International Congress Controlling Diabetes and its more severe complications, to be held in Havana from next December 10 to 12 with the presence of President of the International Diabetes Federation, Michael Hirst.
- U.S. Republican lawmakers favor agricultural trade between Cuba and the United States
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Terrible week in Guatemala
- Colombians in awe due to threat of disaster at hidroituango dam
- Cuba condemns OAS' interference in Venezuela's internal affairs
- U.S. imperialism has not succeeded in destroying Puerto Rican nationalism
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3693
- today: 1961
- online: 105
- total: 4844098