Havana, September 4 (RHC)-- Cuba is meeting the Millennium Development Goals despite the unjust economic, financial and commercial blockade imposed by the United States for more than half a century.
The Vice President of Cuba's National Assembly of People's Power, Ana Maria Mari Machado, spoke at the UN's World Summit of Parlimentary Presidents. She said that the results were possible thanks to the political will of Cuban authorities, social participation and the constant updating of a system based on solid ethical values.
Ana Maria Mari Machado criticized the fact that developed countries appeared to not be very interested in meeting the agreements and stated that this lack of action risks everything. She noted that if this continues, the world will not be able to accomplish the goal of having social protection for everyone by the year 2030.
The vice president of Cuba's parliament further expressed concern about the mismatch between the means of implementation and good intentions in the 17 Sustainable Development Goals contained in the Post 2015 Agenda.
The meeting was inaugurated this week by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-mon. More than 170 presidents and vice presidents of parliaments around the world agreed on the need for concerted efforts to build global democracy, peace and development.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 0
- today: 836
- online: 127
- total: 6623727