Havana, January 8 (RHC)-- Havana residents, representing the entire Cuban people, welcomed on Friday the contingent of young Cubans reenacting the Rebel Army’s Freedom Caravan, 57 years ago.
On January 8th, 1959, a group of victorious revolutionaries led by Fidel Castro arrived in Havana, marking the completion of their journey across Cuba.
Every year, groups of outstanding young Cubans reenact the freedom caravan's historic journey from Santiago de Cuba to Havana. During their east-to-west journey, they are greeted by local residents, visit places of interest and carry out several activities.
The caravan's journey concludes at Havana's former Columbia barracks, a former stronghold of the Batista dictatorship, turned into a school after the revolutionary triumph, and the site from where Revolution leader Fidel Castro addressed Havana residents on January 8th, 1959.
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 19
- RHC's national and international news stories August 17
- RHC's national and international news stories August-16
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 15
- RHC's national and international news stories August 15
- RHC's sports report TIME OUT August 15
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2836
- today: 3137
- online: 133
- total: 6264267