Moscow, August 17 (RHC/teleSUR)--The Russian defense ministry says it has used a base in western Iran to carry out airstrikes in Syria. The ministry reported the strikes hit targets in Aleppo, Idlib and Deir ez-Zor provinces.
The air raids are the first Russia has carried out from a third country since it began its military operations in Syria. A base in Iran gives Russia greater capability to intensify its bombing campaign in Syria.
This comes as fighting increases in and around Aleppo. The United Nations is warning of a dire humanitarian crisis as millions are left without water or electricity.
According to UN official Alessandra Vellucci, the UN is greatly concerned for the safety of civilians, including a reported 100,000 children living in eastern Aleppo city, where violence has reached new heights in recent weeks as war has intensified over control of armed group-held neighborhoods and their principal remaining supply lines."
- Cuban lawmakers studying draft of new Constitution
- Machado Ventura: Unity among the left and progressive forces is urgently needed these days
- Miguel Díaz-Canel: It is our duty to defend Our Americas
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- RHC's Segment 'The Voice of José Martí'
- Sao Paulo Forum pledges regional unity and integration
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4133
- today: 1758
- online: 136
- total: 4937664