Moscow, August 17 (RHC/teleSUR)--The Russian defense ministry says it has used a base in western Iran to carry out airstrikes in Syria. The ministry reported the strikes hit targets in Aleppo, Idlib and Deir ez-Zor provinces.
The air raids are the first Russia has carried out from a third country since it began its military operations in Syria. A base in Iran gives Russia greater capability to intensify its bombing campaign in Syria.
This comes as fighting increases in and around Aleppo. The United Nations is warning of a dire humanitarian crisis as millions are left without water or electricity.
According to UN official Alessandra Vellucci, the UN is greatly concerned for the safety of civilians, including a reported 100,000 children living in eastern Aleppo city, where violence has reached new heights in recent weeks as war has intensified over control of armed group-held neighborhoods and their principal remaining supply lines."
- President Raul Castro Congratulates Nicolas Maduro on PSUV´s Electoral Victory
- Council Members of the U.S. Cities of Tampa and St Petersburg Attend Business Forum in Cuba
- Confusion Prevails in Catalonia
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- World Food Program Praises Cuba's Record in Face of Natural Disasters
- Sochi Hosts World's Biggest Youth Event
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4823
- today: 278
- online: 222
- total: 3834248