United Nations, October 24 (RHC)-- The United Nations special envoy for Yemen has called for renewal of a three-day ceasefire in the war-hit country amid multiple reports of violations of the truce.
"With the 72-hour Cessation of Hostilities in Yemen coming to an end, the United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed urges all parties to agree to its extension for at least another renewable 72 hours," read a statement released by the envoy. The call was made after a UN-backed cessation of hostilities officially came to an end in the country at midnight Saturday local time.
The 72-hour ceasefire went into effect shortly before Wednesday midnight to allow aid to reach the families trapped in towns and villages cut off by months of Saudi bombing. “We noted over the last days that food and humanitarian supplies were provided to several affected neighborhoods and that UN personnel were able to reach areas that were previously inaccessible. We would like to build on this and we aim for a wider outreach in the next few days," Ahmed said.
He stressed that the ceasefire was "largely holding despite reported violations from both sides in several areas." Earlier in the day, heavy clashes were reported from border regions between Saudi Arabia and Yemen, along with multiple reports of Saudi airstrike throughout Yemen.
About 10,000 Yemenis have been killed since the regime in Riyadh launched its deadly campaign against Yemen in March 2015. The military aggression was meant to reinstall Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh who has resigned as Yemen’s president.
- Cuban civil society debates agenda of upcoming Summit of the Americas
- Kenyan business executive says Cuba is a great place
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Manipulated minds can equal secured votes
- Cuba pledges continued use of ITs for social justice goals
- RHC's Music Program 'From Havana' (Duo Buena Fe)
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3933
- today: 3392
- online: 122
- total: 4477072