Tokyo, May 18 (RHC)-- In Japan, thousands of people protested against U.S. military bases on the island of Okinawa, as the island marked the 45th anniversary of its reversion to Japanese rule.
The protesters gathered on the shores near Henoko to protest a highly controversial new U.S. military base, which began construction in April after years of opposition from residents.
For decades, residents have called for the expulsion of U.S. troops from Okinawa, which houses about two-thirds of the 50,000 U.S. troops currently stationed in Japan.
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 28
- Yusuam Palacios: we must continue learning from José Martí to confront and overcome the problems humanity faces today
- RHC's program 'Connecting the dots'
- Notes on the Revolution / Column #62
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 27
- 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz: Ksenia Olkhova, a survivor of the Nazis concentration camp, shares her story
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 11638
- today: 11112
- online: 197
- total: 7115463