Puerto Rico marks anniversary of Hurricane Maria as Donald Trump denies death count. Photo: AP
San Juan, September 21 (RHC)-- Communities across Puerto Rico held memorials throughout the island on Thursday to mark the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Maria, the devastating storm that killed thousands and caused the longest blackout in U.S. history.
Puerto Rico’s governor recently updated the death toll from the storm to 2,975 people, after multiple news outlets and universities demonstrated that thousands of people died during the days and weeks after Maria. A Harvard study estimates the death toll might be as high as 4,645.
But last week, President Trump claimed the death toll was inflated by Democrats to make him look bad. And he claimed that the government’s response to the storm was an “incredible unsung success.”
In Puerto Rico, local residents strongly criticized Trump’s comments. Sharon Nunez Cortez, a resident of Barceloneta, said: "He is giving his opinion from the comfort of his chair without knowing what really happened.”
- Jorge Arreaza: Cuba and Venezuela are sister nations and we are on the right side of history
- Vietnamese deputy prime minister and foreign minister concludes official visit
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- U.S. academic says Washington's wars of aggression lead to more harm than good to the United States itself
- RHC's scientific and medical review
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3262
- today: 1819
- online: 146
- total: 5945585