Quito, April 22 (RHC)-- Another powerful earthquake, with a 6.0 magnitude, has struck off the coast of Ecuador, only days after an earlier quake claimed the lives of at least 587 people in the South American country. The U.S. Geological Survey said the new quake hit about 100 km northwest of the city of Portoviejo and at a depth of 10 km on Thursday. No immediate reports of damage have been available, and the government has not issued a tsunami warning.
Ecuador's President Rafael Correa posted a message on his Twitter account after the earthquake and said that a number of tremors had been registered on Thursday night.
According to media reports, the government has raised shelters for more than 25,000 in soccer stadiums, airports as well as other venues in worst-hit areas. People and children from rural areas reportedly face a food and water crisis.
A magnitude-7.8 quake struck Ecuador's Pacific coast last Saturday and another quake shook the same area on Wednesday. The government has mobilized the National Guard and the police to help in rescue operations.
- President Raul Castro Congratulates Nicolas Maduro on PSUV´s Electoral Victory
- Council Members of the U.S. Cities of Tampa and St Petersburg Attend Business Forum in Cuba
- Confusion Prevails in Catalonia
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- World Food Program Praises Cuba's Record in Face of Natural Disasters
- Sochi Hosts World's Biggest Youth Event
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4823
- today: 848
- online: 218
- total: 3834818