Havana, October 10 (RHC)--Cuba celebrates today, the 148th anniversary of the beginning of the independence struggle against Spanish colonialism, on October 10, 1868, when Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, a lawyer and patriot, freed his slaves and invited them to join the fight.
At the time of the 1868 revolutionary uprising, slaves in Cuba were estimated to be close to 70 percent of the general population.
Carlos Manuel de Céspedes is considered the Father of the Cuban nation, and October 10, 1968 the start of Cuba's revolutions for national liberation.
- Some 60 Countries to Attend Havana's International Trade Fair FIHAV
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuba Helps Caribbean States Recover from Devastation Caused by Powerful Hurricanes
- RHC's Segment 'The Real Story'
- RHC's Interview with Patrick Manteiga, Editor and Publisher of La Gaceta Newspaper in Tampa
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4037
- today: 2211
- online: 206
- total: 3859072