Havana, January 28 (RHC) – Today, January 28th, Cubans throughout the country are commemorating the 161th birth anniversary of National Independence Hero José Martí, born in Havana in 1853.
The main cultural-political and military remembrance ceremony was held at José Martí Mausoleum, erected in the Saint Ifigenia cemetery of Santiago de Cuba.
Students of military and higher studies centers took part in the tribute that included the traditional 21-gun salute, which was performed simultaneously at Havana's San Carlos de la Cabaña Fortress.
Earlier on Monday, several Latin American and Caribbean presidents, including those of Venezuela, Uruguay, Bolivia and Haiti, joined Cuban youth in the traditional Torchlight March held every year to celebrate the birth of the Cuban independence fighter. Cuban President Raul Castro also participated in last night's popular homage.
- RHC's national and international news stories August 17
- RHC's national and international news stories August-16
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 15
- RHC's national and international news stories August 15
- RHC's sports report TIME OUT August 15
- RHC's national and international news stories August-14
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3215
- today: 1809
- online: 110
- total: 6260103