Havana, July 20 (RHC/AFP)-- Cuban private entrepreneurs say U.S. President Donald Trump's announced new policy toward the island is already hurting their businesses.
Nidialys Acosta, who jointly with her husband Julio, runs a classic-car taxi service, told AFP that since Trump's announcement in June, "We've already had three big groups canceling." “We are very worried,” Nidialys said.
Trump told a small crowd of Cuban-American conservatives in Miami last month that he was reversing relaxation steps towards Cuba introduced by the Obama administration and was cutting down on trips by U.S. individuals to Cuba.
But by making it more difficult for Americans to travel, Nidialys said, Donald Trump is hurting a private sector in Cuba that had boomed with an influx of American visitors.
And Celia Mendoza, founder of the travel agency Concierge Habana, charged that “Trump's advisers don't know what they're talking about,and do not understand Cuba's private sector."
Mendoza and Acosta were part of an eight-member delegation of Cuban small-business owners who traveled to Washington to make their case.
In a letter to the Trump administration Tuesday, the entrepreneurs urged the U.S. administration to allow freer visits by U.S. travelers to Cuba.
- RHC's program 'Connecting the Dots'
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba condemns U.S. blockade at UN Human Rights Council
- Frei Betto affirms Cuba is the only country in the region that guarantees its population the rights to food, health, education
- Cuba & Puerto Rico are two wings of the same bird
- Cuban diplomat calls New Constitution a paradigm guaranteeing full enjoyment of all human rights by all Cubans
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 8873
- today: 4065
- online: 217
- total: 7385508