Havana, March 29 (RHC) The Cuban Parliament elected through secret and direct vote two new members to the country’s Council of State, the organ representing the Assembly in between sessions.
The general secretary of the Cuban Workers’ Confederation, Ulises Guilarte, and the president of the Small Farmers’ Association, Rafael Ramon Santiesteban were elected to the Council of State during the First Extraordinary Session of the Cuban legislative body.
Guilarte takes over the post after the Second Secretary of the Confederation, Carmen Rosa Lopez, resigned that responsibility to facilitate the candidacy of the new secretary of the workers’ organization.
Meanwhile, Santiesteban replaced Felix Gonzalez, who headed the farmer’s association in the moment when he suddenly died few weeks ago.
President Raul Castro was the first to vote the two new Council of State members at the Assembly.
- RHC's Segment 'The Voice of José Martí'
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Visiting US congressional delegation meets with President Raúl Castro, speaks to the media in Havana
- Senator Leahy urges U.S. government to fully restaff Embassy in Havana
- Brazil: fighting fire with fire?
- The nuclear phantom flies again
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4531
- today: 2232
- online: 137
- total: 4368245