Managua, November 24 (RHC) -- The Hero of the Republic of Cuba Fernando González Llort thanked the Sandinista National Liberation Front, Nicaraguan youth and people for the examples of solidarity and the commitment with the cause of the Cuban Five.
Paying a week-long visit to the Central American country, Gonzalez -- who is also the vice president of the Cuban Institutue of Friendship with the Peoples -- received the keys to the cities of León and Masaya, the distinction of Honorary Son of both cities, as well as the order Edgard Munguia Alvarez.
“I accept this award on behalf of my four brothers, especially Gerardo, Ramón and Antonio, who are still locked up in U.S. penitentiaries,” he said upon receiving the award from the mayor of Leon, Roger Gurdián.
Gonzalez, along with Gerardo Hernandez, Antonio Guerrero, Ramon Labañino and Rene Gonzalez, was arrested in 1998 in the United States, for monitoring Miami-based groups that promoted terrorism against Cuba.
Fernando Gonzalez told reporters in Managua that the Cuban Five were not arrested for committing a crime, but for defending a revolutionary process that has regained the dignity of our people.
After completing their sentences, Rene and Fernando returned to their country, but their three compatriots remain in prison.
- Fidel Castro: “I'm not important. It is the six million Cubans back home that follow this visit who matter to me"
- Eusebio Leal: the public debate on the draft of constitution allows for advancing towards a stronger, more united nation
- Cuban-American: our participation in the constitutional reform process can help us find the way to talk with just one voice
- Cuban-Americans need to put pressure on their senators and congresspeople to change U.S.-policy towards Cuba
- Cubans living abroad will have a say in writing Constitution
- Manuel Zelaya: We are here to defend regional peoples, their conquests and their rights
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3751
- today: 1087
- online: 124
- total: 5027733