Tehran, November 28 (RHC-Press TV)-- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has attended a commemoration ceremony held in Tehran in honor of Fidel Castro, penning a memorial note in praise of Cuba's late revolutionary leader.
"Commander Fidel's struggles against imperial powers will live on in history forever," Zarif wrote, offering condolences to Cubans on Castro's death.
The late Cuban leader "had an unparalleled role in pursuit of freedom, fight against arrogance, and quest for independence in Latin America," the note said. "The Iranian government and people will always stand by the friendly Cuban government and people."
Addressing reporters, he called Fidel Castro's demise a catastrophe for the world's freedom-seeking movements, especially in the Latin American region.
He also recalled Fidel Castro's remarks to President Hassan Rouhani during a recent visit by the Iranian chief executive to the Latin American country, in which he had communicated concern considering the situation in Cuba and the Third World, and urged unity among developing nations against arrogant powers.
Both Zarif and the Cuban envoy to Iran, Andres Gonzalez Quesada, meanwhile, hailed the status of bilateral Tehran-Havana ties and both sides' resolve to strengthen their relations.
On Saturday, Iranian President Rouhani extended his condolences to Cubans over the death of Fidel Castro in a message to Cuba's President Raul Castro.
- Academic says denial of entry visas to Cuban scholars to participate in LASA Congress in the US was politically motivated
- Cuban top leaders meet with visiting North Korean Worker´s Party vice president
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: ALBA members must join forces to prevent a new imperialist military adventure in our region
- ALBA-TCP Political Council concerned about actions against regional peace and security
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2756
- today: 1632
- online: 153
- total: 5961004