London, February 9 (RHC)-- In Britain, Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow says he will refuse to invite Donald Trump to address the British Parliament during Trump’s upcoming state visit, citing Trump’s "racism and sexism."
John Bercow told Members of Parliament: "After the imposition of the migrant ban by President Trump, I am even more strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall. I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons."
More than 1.8 million Brits have also signed a petition seeking to stop Trump’s state visit entirely, arguing: "He should not be allowed to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to her Majesty the Queen." The British Parliament is slated to debate the petition on February 20.
- RHC's national and international news stories August 19
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 19
- RHC's national and international news stories August 17
- RHC's national and international news stories August-16
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 15
- RHC's national and international news stories August 15
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3443
- today: 1272
- online: 134
- total: 6265845