Sandra Khadhouri (L), together with fellow Renew Party members James Clarke (C) and James Torrance, speaks at the launch of the new political party in London, B
London, Feb 20 (RHC)-- A new anti-Brexit political party has officially launched a campaign to block Britain's exit from the European Union, seeking to cancel any EU withdrawal deal UK Prime Minister Theresa May might strike.
Renew Britain is one of several initiatives by pro-EU campaigners hoping to overturn the EU membership referendum vote in 2016. The party, founded last year, was inspired by French President Emmanuel Macron's En Marche movement.
With just one year left until Britain is due to leave the EU, opponents of Brexit are exploring ways to stop what they call Britain's biggest mistake since World War II. The party said it would lobby pro-Brexit Members of Parliament (MPs) in constituencies with high levels of support for EU membership.
"We intend to be tough on Brexit and tough on the causes of Brexit," said James Torrance, the party's head of strategy. "We'll pressure MPs to consider the national interest and put Remain back on the table in a vote on the final EU deal."
In the United Kingdom's 2016 referendum, 52 percent, or 17.4 million people, voted to leave the EU while 48 percent, or 16 million, voted to stay.
May's government and party is divided over Brexit. She campaigned for a "remain" vote in 2016, but now insists Britain will leave on March 29, 2019 and there will be no rerun of the Brexit referendum.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 0
- today: 3626
- online: 154
- total: 6626517