Peruvian opposition leader Keiko Fujimori under arrest. Photo: Democracy Now
Lima, October 11 (RHC)-- Peruvian opposition leader Keiko Fujimori has been arrested as part of an investigation into money laundering. Keiko, who is the daughter of former President Alberto Fujimori, was placed in police custody as part of the preliminary inquiry in a "fiscal investigation."
She was detained when she arrived at the state prosecutor's office to testify about the case, which also includes allegations of illegal contributions to her political party by Brazilian construction company Odebrecht, attorney Giuliana Loza said.
"There is no element of conviction and any evidence against her and we do not understand how an abusive, arbitrary requirement may have caused the freedom of Keiko Fujimori to be cut," Loza told local radio station RPP.
- Cuba-CARICOM Day celebrated in Havana
- Cuba presents business opportunities in oil and energy sector
- Fidel: The Caribbean is an example of how peoples and governments can work together united by culture, history and common interests
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Ireland, a stone in the brexit shoe
- Havana hosts conference on climate change vulnerability and resilience in the Caribbean
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3430
- today: 2353
- online: 146
- total: 5423329