Brussels, May 24 (RHC)-- Belgian police fired water-cannons during clashes with protesters at a huge demonstration in Brussels on Tuesday against the center-right government's austerity measures.
The demonstration was called by several trade unions under the slogan "Our cup runs over.” The protesters denounced proposed reforms by Employment Minister Kris Peeters, increasing workers' flexibility at work, longer careers before pensions kick in and less pay under tougher conditions. The reforms will also allow employers to impose 45-hour work weeks.
Tuesday’s rally is paving the way for a mass public services rally, a rail strike scheduled for May 31 and general strikes in June, September and October.
- Cuba and Ireland: two islands in the same sea of struggle and hope
- RHC's national and international news stories Oct. 22
- Connecting the Dots
- The Non-Aligned Movement against Washington's blockade of Cuba
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- RHC's Arts Roundup Oct. 22
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4390
- today: 3222
- online: 235
- total: 6517582