Brussels, May 24 (RHC)-- Belgian police fired water-cannons during clashes with protesters at a huge demonstration in Brussels on Tuesday against the center-right government's austerity measures.
The demonstration was called by several trade unions under the slogan "Our cup runs over.” The protesters denounced proposed reforms by Employment Minister Kris Peeters, increasing workers' flexibility at work, longer careers before pensions kick in and less pay under tougher conditions. The reforms will also allow employers to impose 45-hour work weeks.
Tuesday’s rally is paving the way for a mass public services rally, a rail strike scheduled for May 31 and general strikes in June, September and October.
- Cuba strongly rejects inclusion in arbitrary US Report on Trafficking in Persons
- EU commissioner for international cooperation says ties with Cuba have evolved to higher levels
- Business executive says Cuba is a very popular resort among Europeans
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- US academic not surprised that Trump Administration has made it more difficult for Americans to travel to Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3643
- today: 2406
- online: 131
- total: 6070870