Brussels, May 24 (RHC)-- Belgian police fired water-cannons during clashes with protesters at a huge demonstration in Brussels on Tuesday against the center-right government's austerity measures.
The demonstration was called by several trade unions under the slogan "Our cup runs over.” The protesters denounced proposed reforms by Employment Minister Kris Peeters, increasing workers' flexibility at work, longer careers before pensions kick in and less pay under tougher conditions. The reforms will also allow employers to impose 45-hour work weeks.
Tuesday’s rally is paving the way for a mass public services rally, a rail strike scheduled for May 31 and general strikes in June, September and October.
- Victor Gaute-Cuba denounces the United States for adopting measures aimed at hindering everyday life in the Caribbean state
- Frei Betto: I believe the socialist project clearly corresponds to what Martí said when he spoke of Motherland as Humanity
- Notes on the Revolution / Column #61
- RHC's sports report TIME OUT
- Visit Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 9620
- today: 701
- online: 162
- total: 7093414