Havana, Mar 21, (RHC), – In its annual International Narcotics Control Strategy Report the US State Department admitted that despite Cuba´s geographical position surrounded by major illegal drug producers and the US market, the island is not significant consumer, producer or transit point for illicit narcotics.
The report, dated March 2015, adds that the production and consumption of drugs in Cuba continue to be low due to active surveillance, strict sentences and national prevention and education programs.
“Cuba concentrates supply reduction efforts by preventing smuggling through territorial waters, rapidly collecting wash-ups, and conducting thorough airport searches. Cuba dedicates significant resources to prevent illegal drugs and their use from spreading, and regional traffickers typically avoid Cuba.”
As to bilateral counterdrug cooperation with the United States, the State Department reports notes that “…The USCG and Cuban authorities share tactical information related to vessels transiting Cuban territorial waters suspected of trafficking and coordinate responses.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 27, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 27 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 26, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 26 , 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 25 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 25, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6682
- today: 1229
- online: 420
- total: 8034769