Havana, August 15 (ACN-RHC)-- We are starting to take a road that is very promising, said Cardinal Jaime Ortega, top Cuban Catholic Church figure, after the flag-raising ceremony at the U.S. embassy in Havana.
Speaking about the renewal of diplomatic relations between the two countries, the Cuban Cardinal said: “What we are witnessing today is a historical event.”
And Ortega said his private meeting with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry had been very good.
The Cardinal said he considers the process of normalization of relations irreversible and that the Church can contribute more, especially when Pope Francis visits both nations next month.
The Cuban Cardinal praised the role played by His Holiness in this process.
Regarding the Pope's visit to Cuba, Jaime Ortega said preparations are going very well, and Cuban believers are happy and excited about the upcoming visit of Pope Francis.
- Sao Paulo Forum pledges regional unity and integration
- Dilma Rousseff: Lula is our hope
- Trump announces that he will seek re-election
- Fidel Castro: Neoliberalism is nobody's alternative
- Ralph Gonsalves urges regional unity toward peace and sustainable development
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3400
- today: 3623
- online: 135
- total: 4931326