Panama City, February 6 (RHC)-- Las Tunas Woodcutters had a triumphant debut on Tuesday scoring 3 runs to 1 against the Charros de Jalisco of Mexico in the 61 Series of the Caribbean, which is based at the Rod Carew Stadium in the Panamanian capital.
An effective mound work by Cuban starter pitcher Lázaro Blanco for seven innings and an opportune offensive by slugger Alfredo Despaigne who towed the three runs led to the first triumph of the Cuban team.
Despaigne, who plays in the Japanese league with the Softbank Falcons, hit to the left in the third inning led Jorge Johnson and Danel Castro, and connected another in the fifth that brought the rubber to Larduet.
In his sixth incursion in the so-called Classic of February, Despaigne was the best Cuban hitter to connect 4-3
For his part, right hander Blanco had a great command of the Charros battery in seven innings of performance barely allowing three hits, striking out three and conceding a walk.
This is the third victory in a Caribbean Series for the tall Cuban pitcher. Cuba will play Venezuela this Wednesday at 3 pm.
- Anayansi Rodriguez: Fidel taught us to defend peace and noble causes around the world
- Fernández de Cossío: the current U.S. government wrongly believe that they can reedit the Monroe Doctrine in our region
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Courage and loyalty in the face of lies and aggression
- Cuba and Puerto Rico: Two wings of the same bird
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2763
- today: 2141
- online: 139
- total: 5858251