Panama City, February 6 (RHC)-- Las Tunas Woodcutters had a triumphant debut on Tuesday scoring 3 runs to 1 against the Charros de Jalisco of Mexico in the 61 Series of the Caribbean, which is based at the Rod Carew Stadium in the Panamanian capital.
An effective mound work by Cuban starter pitcher Lázaro Blanco for seven innings and an opportune offensive by slugger Alfredo Despaigne who towed the three runs led to the first triumph of the Cuban team.
Despaigne, who plays in the Japanese league with the Softbank Falcons, hit to the left in the third inning led Jorge Johnson and Danel Castro, and connected another in the fifth that brought the rubber to Larduet.
In his sixth incursion in the so-called Classic of February, Despaigne was the best Cuban hitter to connect 4-3
For his part, right hander Blanco had a great command of the Charros battery in seven innings of performance barely allowing three hits, striking out three and conceding a walk.
This is the third victory in a Caribbean Series for the tall Cuban pitcher. Cuba will play Venezuela this Wednesday at 3 pm.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3520
- today: 2176
- online: 146
- total: 5646323