Report says Trump administration separated 6,000 families in four months. Photo: Reuters
New York, October 15 (RHC)-- A new report by Amnesty International says the Donald Trump administration forcibly separated 6,000 families at the U.S.-Mexico border between April and August, a far higher number of children and parents torn apart by immigration officials than previously thought.
The report says the White House “is waging a deliberate campaign of human rights violations against asylum-seekers, in order to broadcast globally that the United States no longer welcomes refugees.”
In other immigration news, the Associated Press is reporting the U.S. Army has discharged over 500 immigrant enlistees over the last year. The enlistees were recruited for their language and medical expertise, and were initially promised a fast-track to citizenship for serving in the U.S. military.
After their discharge, many of the recruits now say they were deliberately targeted for their immigration status. They also say the Army’s reasons for their discharge -- which include refusing to enlist and failing security clearances -- were not accurate or fair.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4802
- today: 4886
- online: 126
- total: 6660753