Budapest, September 24 (RHC)-- Police in Hungary say a record high of 10,046 refugees crossed the border into the country on Wednesday, amid the unprecedented influx of asylum seekers to Europe. Data showed that a total of 9,939 refugees entered Hungary from Croatia while 102 crossed from Serbia. The police, meanwhile, failed to explain the discrepancy of five refugees in the figures.
The last record was registered on September 14, when 9,380 refugees set foot on Hungarian soil. The central European country closed its border with Serbia last week in a move that caused thousands of refugees to move to Croatia which, in turn, started redirecting them to the Hungarian border.
The asylum seekers, who are escaping conflicts in the Middle East and Africa, are taken to the Austrian border after entering Hungary. From Austria, they strive to travel to northern Europe, particularly to Sweden and Germany, which have relaxed asylum rules for Syrians.
- Some 60 Countries to Attend Havana's International Trade Fair FIHAV
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuba Helps Caribbean States Recover from Devastation Caused by Powerful Hurricanes
- RHC's Segment 'The Real Story'
- RHC's Interview with Patrick Manteiga, Editor and Publisher of La Gaceta Newspaper in Tampa
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4037
- today: 4637
- online: 195
- total: 3861498