Quito, April 21 (RHC)-- Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa toured the province of Esmeralda, located on the northwestern coast of Ecuador, to see first-hand the scope of the damages from the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that hit last Saturday, April 16th.
Correa walked the streets and talked with victims of the quake, assuring them that his government will do everything possible to help rebuild their homes and re-construct their lives.
There have been 570 deaths, and the number may still rise as the search and rescue operations continue. Official sources also report 5,733 injured and 163 people still missing. So far, an estimated 20,000 people need shelter.
- Cuban lawmakers studying draft of new Constitution
- Machado Ventura: Unity among the left and progressive forces is urgently needed these days
- Miguel Díaz-Canel: It is our duty to defend Our Americas
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- RHC's Segment 'The Voice of José Martí'
- Sao Paulo Forum pledges regional unity and integration
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4133
- today: 2511
- online: 131
- total: 4938417