Quito, April 21 (RHC)-- Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa toured the province of Esmeralda, located on the northwestern coast of Ecuador, to see first-hand the scope of the damages from the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that hit last Saturday, April 16th.
Correa walked the streets and talked with victims of the quake, assuring them that his government will do everything possible to help rebuild their homes and re-construct their lives.
There have been 570 deaths, and the number may still rise as the search and rescue operations continue. Official sources also report 5,733 injured and 163 people still missing. So far, an estimated 20,000 people need shelter.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3520
- today: 2298
- online: 150
- total: 5646445