Santiago de Cuba, December 4 (RHC)-- A solemn, private ceremony was held Sunday morning in Santiago de Cuba, as the ashes of Cuban Revolution leader Fidel Castro were being placed in the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery -- Fidel's final resting place -- near the Mausoleum that keeps the remains of another universal Cuban -- National Hero José Marti. On hand were Fidel's immediate family and friends.
As part of the ceremony, at 7:00 a.m., a 21 gun salute was rendered in the Cuban capital.
In the early morning hours on Sunday, Santiago residents accompanied the funeral procession all the way from the Antonio Maceo Revolution Square to the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery, paying their last respects to the revolutionary leader.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4355
- today: 2974
- online: 149
- total: 6634721