Havana, April 27 (RHC)-- On Tuesday, April 26, Pope Francis formally accepted the resignation of the historic Archbishop of Havana, Jaime Lucas Ortega y Alamino, due to advanced age, and appointed Juan de la Caridad García Rodríguez as his replacement.
Born on July 11, 1948 in Camagüey province, García Rodríguez studied philosophy and theology at the San Basilio de El Cobre Seminary and San Carlos and San Ambrosio of Havana Seminary.
On January 25, 1972 he was ordained a priest and began his ministry, first at the parish of Morón and then in Ciego de Ávila.
Later, he was named parish priest and Parochial Vicar of Jatibonico and Morón.
In 1989 he was appointed priest in the municipality of Florida, Camagüey. He founded and directed the school for missionaries of the Archdioceses of Camagüey, where he was named Assistant Bishop on March 15th, 1997 and later Bishop on June 10th, 2002.
Pope Francis has also accepted the resignation due to age of Assistant Bishop of Havana, Alfredo Víctor Petit Vergel.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran June 4, 20200
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 04, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran June 3, 20200
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 03, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 02, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran June 1, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6525
- today: 4530
- online: 200
- total: 8089658