Brasilia, April 20 (RHC)-- The current President of the Supreme Federal Court (STF) Antonio Dias Toffoli has ruled that former President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva can provide media interviews.
Lula's right to speak to the press was barred in September 2018 by Supreme Court Judge Luiz Fux who suspended the political prisoner's ability to give interviews that had been previously granted by another judge. Since then, Judge Toffoli had maintained Lula's inaccessibility to reporters, but has now changed his mind.
According to local media, Monica Bergamo from El Pais newspaper and Fernandes from Falha will be the first two journalists to have access to Lula Da Silva since he was detained in Curitiba's Federal Police headquarters on April 7, 2018.
Lula, whose legal procedural rights have been violated several times since he was imprisoned, was sentenced to 12 years in prison for alleged corruption. There is a huge international campaign for his freedom.
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 17
- President Diaz-Canel: Trump Administration blames others for its flaws in foreign policy
- Artists attending 35th edition of Jazz Plaza come from around the world
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Visit Cuba
- Notes on the Revolution / Column #58
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 11159
- today: 8746
- online: 161
- total: 7050276