U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley. Photo: UN File
United Nations, June 27 (RHC)-- In news from the United Nations, U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley has slammed a new U.N. report by the special rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights Philip Alston, who recently toured the United States.
Haley said: “It is patently ridiculous for the United Nations to examine poverty in America.” Haley’s comment comes just days after the U.S. pulled out of the U.N. Human Rights Council.
Philip Alston discussed his findings on poverty in the U.S., saying: “Vast numbers of people are left living without enough to get by on, the 40 million living in poverty, the figure of 5.3 million, which has been estimated of people who live in, quote, ‘Third World conditions’ in this country.”
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5179
- today: 3460
- online: 134
- total: 6669456